Sunday, February 7, 2010

And So It Begins..... Well, Began

The Hubs left for Fort Leonard Wood (a.k.a. Fort Lost In The Woods) at the beginning of January. Surprisingly time has flown by. I thought I would be a wreck, and don't get me wrong I've had my moments, but for the most part the kids keep me so busy that I don't really have time to think about missing my other half. Part of me feels a little bad about that. I mean... shouldn't I be a wreck? My partner in crime will be gone until the end of May. In the movies don't the women either become total basket cases from the beginning or at least hold it together on the surface only to break down at the most inopportune time or in a very public and embarrassing scene? I haven't, I don't think I will. My hubby is my best friend, but really.... he's in Missouri. Not exactly war-torn or uncivilized on the standard spectrum of civilization.

He's been allowed to call a few Sundays in a row. I talk to him in very brief phrases trying to get out as much important information and I-love-you's as possible before putting him on the phone with the kids. He is allowed only 10 minutes so there isn't a lot of idle chit-chat.

My daughter is handling it a lot better than I thought she would. After a few tries at getting out of trouble by busting out an ill timed "I miss Daddy" and me replying with the standard "You are allowed to miss Daddy but it's not going to get you out of trouble.", she now only says it when she means it. I guess you can't blame a 10 year old girl for trying.

I guess what I miss most is his companionship. I mean, he's my best friend. I not only lost my best friend, but I moved away from my other friends that lived anywhere near me to a place where I only know my parents. I haven't been able to find a new job, so that avenue for meeting new people is out. I take the kids to school, do housework, pick up the kids, do more housework while helping with homework, make dinner, make lunches for the next day, write to the husband, do a little reading, go to sleep. That's it..... lather, rinse, repeat. The only change to the routine are the 3 days a week I do lap swimming for an hour and a half while the kids are in school. Blah.

If I were in my own home I could at least decorate and spruce up the house. But being unemployed is only really bearable when you have other things to fill up your time. Right now I am unemployed, nobody to hang out with and no home of my own.

Aside from the loneliness factor, life has been fine. I can't complain. I've had a lot of time to come up with furniture I want to buy, refurbishing projects I want to take on, crafts I want to tackle. My husband has no idea what he's in for when he gets back ;)

I'll write again tomorrow! Until then.....

-His HH6

No comments:

Post a Comment